Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rikki Tikki sketches







Edit:
Since we're getting feedback on here this week I wanted to briefly comment on what I did.

I decided to focus on Rikki obviously, and started out with drawing out references of mongoose photos to get a feel for the anatomy/shapes. From there I started sketching the stylized versions.
I still have some sketching ahead of me to get the final design down, and then want to play with showing different emotions, since I didn't get to that here.
For the final I'm thinking of doing a paper collage.

1 comment:

Colin Campbell said...

Great to see so many thumbnails here, and especially of the same character. It shows a lot of relentless effort to find something solid with a single topic. It's good that you pushed a lot of them in very different directions, as well.
Try and keep that anatomical understanding even in the stylized. You can break the rules when you have them down. It might take drawing the skull of a rodent alone for awhile to understand where the sockets for the eyes are and how they relate to the nose, ears, etc.. It's impossible to overdraw this stuff.
For the environment, you've got some good starts to layers of information in the architectural ones. Perspective is just as important in the organic ones, however, and your ground is tiling up on your trail in the right upper image.